Ahh, dare I say that spring might have FINALLY decided to show up?! With all of the cold, rainy, gloomy weather we’ve been having in New England, it feels pretty good to have some nicer weather gracing us with its presence! Along with nicer weather comes the option of getting to get outside for your workout instead of being stuck in the gym (unless you’re coming to a class, of course, because you shouldn’t feel stuck about that 😉 ), which is one of my favorite parts about the weather warming up. Although I was able to run outside pretty consistently this past winter, it feels so much better to get to run outside with minimal layers on.
But, if you still feel like you need a little something extra to put some pep in your step and pump you up for you workouts this spring, I’ve got 5 ways that might be just what you need to get excited about working out… and also allow you to get outside for your workout- enjoy!
- Get Outside! You knew this was coming, right?! Whether it’s for a run, walk, run/walk combo, bootcamp, or even just your normal workout, but taken outside, getting to breathe in fresh air while you workout can be exactly what you need to push through and not dread your workout. Lately, I’ve been trying to run once or twice a week outside, but the other week I took advantage of our back patio and did this workout– all I needed was a mat, set of dumbbells and a jump rope! Or, maybe you grab a friend and head to Harvard Stadium to run stairs. I plan on doing a whole post soon with a list of organized bootcamps/workouts in & around the Boston area so if that’s your type of desired workout- sit tight!
- Buy Something New- There’s something about new workout clothes, shoes or equipment that makes me SO EXCITED to workout. Whether it’s a tank top, new socks or a new resistance band, just knowing I get to wear/use something new will help me get out the door to workout outside or in a class. TJ Maxx/Marshalls and Old Navy are great places to get some cute, but inexpensive items- both clothes and equipment! If you’re looking to spend a little more, Lululemon and Athleta have SUPER cute items in their spring collections (and fitness instructors- you get 15% off at Lulu and 30% off at Athleta!)
- Try A New Class/Gym- It seems as though every week there’s a new studio opening up or a new class being introduced, right? Is there a class you’ve been interested in checking out, but for one reason or another haven’t done so? Maybe it’s a barre class or pilates or boxing or rowing- whatever it is, maybe now is the time to finally check it out! I suggest checking with the studio prior to going because they often have new student/member discounts which is always nice.
- Try A Morning Class- With spring/summer comes an earlier sunrise meaning it’s a little easier to get up (is there anyone else who doesn’t sleep as well once the sun is up?), so why not try getting to the gym BEFORE work? Or maybe checking out November Project and joining them for an outdoor morning workout? Or even going for a walk or run outside. I love morning workouts, especially in the spring/summer because it leaves time after work for fun things like meeting up for drinks or going shopping or for a stroll to enjoy the weather. Check out this post for tips on how to make getting up early to workout a little easier. My friend Athena also wrote a post recently that might be of interest: My #1 Tip for Becoming A Morning Workout Person
- Sign Up For A Race– I haven’t run a race since October, so I was so excited when I was able to sign up for the JPMorgan Corporate Challenge race coming up in June. If running isn’t your thing, maybe you sign up for an obstacle race if there’s one coming to your town. Sometimes having an event or challenge on your calendar to look forward to or train for is just what you need to get motivated to crush your workouts and keep consistent with them.
What do you think? Do any of these things seem like something that would help you spruce up your workouts this spring? If you’re looking for ways to get outside for your workout or to spruce up your runs, I’ve got a whole bunch of outdoor workouts here.
Photo Credit: Janelle Carmela Photography
Questions for you: What’s your favorite outdoor workout? Have you spruced up your workouts this spring? Have you tried any new classes or studios? Do you have any races or events coming up?