You guys- I have the perfect appetizer for you to make this weekend if you’re going to a Labor Day party, small get together or even just hanging out around your own home. It’s light, it’s fresh and it’s healthy. Win, win, win if you ask me! It can be served with chips, crackers or atop your favorite source of protein!
I came across this recipe a few weeks ago in the most recent Hannaford Fresh magazine for a Cantaloupe Salsa recipe. I’m not one to usually make salsa’s, but it’s always something I want to do when I see recipes in magazines or other blogs. They are so easy, so I have no idea why I haven’t made any before!
RM had a VERY over-ripe cantaloupe so it was perfect time to put it to good use last week. We served it over baked kale and coconut oil coated grilled chicken. While I made a few substitutions, most of the recipe was exactly as it was in the magazine. We both loved the salsa and the meal!
Cantaloupe Salsa (From Hannaford’s Fresh Magazine)
- 2 cups diced cantaloupe
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper (I only had a green pepper so that’s what I used. I would use red the next time!)
- 1 jalapeno chili pepper, seeded and minced (I didn’t have this so we skipped it)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. minced red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/8 tsp. sugar (Skipped this- no real need to add extra sugar, especially if your fruit is very ripe)
- 1/8 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and let set for 30 minutes to an hour. Serve with chips or on top of chicken and kale or spinach like we did!
Let me know if you try this!
Questions for you: Have you ever made your own salsa? What’s your favorite kind?