Last week, I decided to take my normal lunch break workout outside, rather than to the gym. Since I knew I was teaching cardio kickboxing the next day, I didn’t want to do anything too crazy, especially in terms of cardio, but I also knew the weather was so nice and I wanted to get some movement in, which is when I came up with this workout.
Well, this workout doesn’t exactly mimic the workout I did, but that’s only because I didn’t write anything down and have since forgotten the exact workout. However, I think what I have for you today is still a pretty good workout; I definitely plan on doing it the next time I do a lunch break workout outside.
I’m a big fan of traveling workouts because I like the idea of knowing that I have to go to X spot before finishing- it motivates me to move faster than I normally might otherwise. It’s also just a fun way do something different from the standard time or rep format. Here are some explanations for the exercises:
- Frogger jump squats- Use your arms to help you get momentum as you leap forward, landing softly in a squat position. Repeat until you get to the end mark, and then do the same thing back to the starting line.
- Inchworm Push-Ups- Start in a standing position and walk your hands out to a high plank. When you get in the high plank, do 1 push-up and then walk your feet up to meet your hands. Stand up tall and then repeat.
- Bear Crawl- Begin in a table-top sort of position. Engage your core and lift your knees up from the ground. As you move forward, your right arm and left leg will be in sync. Try to stay as low as possible rather than sticking your butt in the air, in other words, keep hips and shoulders at the same height. (the 1:50ish mark in the video in this post will help)
- Lunge w/oblique twist- Hold your arms out in front of you and step forward in a lunge. As you’re in the lunge position, rotate through the core so that your arms are twisting over the bent leg; if your right leg is forward, rotate to the right, feeling a nice stretch/twist throughout your core. Repeat there & back.
- Crab walk- Start in a seated position with your hands on the ground & finger tips pointing towards your toes. Engage your core and lift yourself so that just your feet and hands are on the ground. Move like a crab to get to the end and back.
- Frogger burpees- This is exactly like the frogger jump squat except rather than landing in a squat, you’ll land in a chest to ground burpee position.
Let me know if you have any questions- I hope you try this next time you’re looking for a way to get a workout in without actually going to the gym 🙂
Questions for you: Do you like to take your workouts outside?
4 thoughts on “Wednesday Workout: The “Back & Forth” Workout”
The weather is slowly becoming nicer here in Chicago… I would love to try these outdoors! Thanks for sharing 🙂
I love Chicago!! Let me know if you try them 🙂
This looks awesome!! I don’t workout outside very often but when I do I always love it!
Thanks Kim. In the warmer weather I really try to workout outside as much as possible… plus it helps with my tan 😉