Mmmm omgoodness was this delicious! I remembered reading something about a yummy lasagna over at Kath Eats Real Food, but when I was searching her blog, I couldn’t find the link. After some digging, I realized it was because I was typing in Butternut Squash lasagna and what I saw on her blog was Pumpkin and Goat Cheese Lasagna… duh! Anyway, since I had bought butternut squash and not pumpkin, I would just have to make substitutions- no big deal when cooking at the Gagnon’s!
I didn’t really follow a recipe, but here is what I ended up doing:
- Butternut squash (it was only about $.30 more to get the peeled and cubed butternut squash… no brainer there!)
- Kale- about half of a bunch that they sell at the grocery store
- 1- 3.5 oz. container of crumbled goat cheese
- 3/4 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1 egg
- Herbs/Seasoning: we used Italian seasoning, garlic pepper, salt, pepper and oregano-maybe 1/2-1 teaspoon of each
- Shredded Fancy Blend cheese (about 3/4 of a cup)
- Hodgson Mill Organic Whole Wheat Gourmet Lasagna Noodles with Milled Flax Seed (I used 5 sheets)
1. Steam butternut squash and mash once it is fully cooked.
2. Steam kale- once the butternut squash was finished, I did a little switcheroo and used the same water/pan to steam the kale- bingo! time and dish saver!
3. Cook noodles according to the back of the package.
4. Mix together 1 egg, ricotta cheese and goat cheese crumbles. Add in the herbs/seasonings of your choice.
5. Once the noodles are finished cooking, spread a thin layer of the mashed butternut squash on the bottom of your dish. Place a layer of noodles next, and then more butternut squash. From there, layer with kale and the egg/cheese mixture. Continue this with one more layer of squash, kale, egg/cheese and noodles. The final layer should just be squash, kale and the egg/cheese mixture. Sprinkle some shredded cheese as the top and final layer.
6. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until it looks cooked. I used my parents wood stove/cook stove, so I have no idea what the temperature was… ahhh, the joys of Maine living:)
I served mine with a simple salad. I love meals like this because not only are they healthy, they reheat really well! Can’t wait to have this for leftovers this week:) Enjoy!