On Sunday’s where I don’t have a lot of time, but still want to make a healthy and tasty meal, I usually turn to stir fry’s. I like them because the only thing that takes any real time is cutting up the veggies and letting them cook. If you want to make it really quick, you can always buy a bag of frozen stir fry veggies 😉
Last week, a stir fry was just what I was craving, along with red meat, oddly enough. I decided to make a beef and veggie stir fry with a spicy almond butter sauce. Almond butter, you ask? I have been on a huge almond butter kick so I decided to see if I could make a peanut sauce with almond butter instead of peanut butter. The verdict? It was great!
Asian Stir Fry w/ a Spicy Almond Sauce
- Sliced red pepper
- Sliced green pepper
- Sliced onions
- Carrots- thinly sliced
- Chopped broccoli
- Steak- I don’t remember what kind I used, but I feel like it was a thin-sliced piece of meat that was good for stir fry’s
- Asian noodles
Spicy Almond Butter Sauce
- 1/4 cup almond butter- I used smooth, but crunchy would have been good!
- 3-4 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- Few shakes of Red Hot
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4-6 tbsp. hot water
1. Cut up your veggies. Add them to a pan and cook until they have softened. I added garlic and other spices. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Bring a pot of water to boil. While the water is heating, cook your steak and make the sauce.
3. Once the water is boiling, add in the noodles. When the steak is almost fully cooked, add back in the veggies and the almond butter sauce. Stir to combine.
4. Serve yourself some noodles and top with the steak/veggie/almond butter mixture and enjoy!
As you can see, I didn’t list out specific amounts for the veggies or steak. I cooked up a bunch of everything and saved some veggies to use later in the week without the sauce. Since I was cooking, I felt like I might as well make up a big enough batch to use throughout the week!
This meal turned out better than I had hoped! The sauce had just enough kick to heat me up and I loved all the other flavors and textures as well. This meal was enjoyed throughout the week and I even used the leftover steak and veggies in a quesadilla which was delicious.
I hope you like this as much as I did!
Questions for you: Do you like Almond Butter? What’s your favorite easy meal? Do you like to use frozen veggies for stir fry’s or fresh veggies?