Hey everyone! Remember that workout that I mentioned a few times? I did it last Tuesday morning before my parents came for more birthday celebrations and it left me pleasantly sweaty and even a little shaky- I call that a win-win (side note, when I went to type “win” I accidentally typed “wine”. Not really a surprise, but glad I caught it!) in my book.
Anyway! What I loved about this workout was that it can be done pretty much anywhere and with or without weights. I used weights because I had them and wanted to intensify the workout, but it’s not necessary! Also, if you don’t have a jump rope, don’t feel comfortable using one, or don’t want to jump, you can swap out the 5 minute jump rope intervals for cardio intervals of your choice.
The workout sandwiches strength training in between bursts of cardio, so it’s similar to a HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workout since your heart rate goes up when you’re doing the cardio and then comes down a bit (but really, not that much. I was still working hard during the strength portions!) during the strength. As always, make sure you do a proper warm up and cool down before and after you attempt this workout!
Ideas for the cardio intervals:
- Tabata style- 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest
- Interval style- 30 or 45 seconds on, 10-15 seconds rest. Or, maybe 60 seconds on, 10 seconds rest.
- Switch up the direction- for one interval you could do jump roping in the forward direction and for the next you could do it in the backwards direction (this was so hard for me!)
- Change up your tempo or speed
- Try doing it hopping only on one foot and then the other
Ways to modify the strength moves if you don’t have weights:
- Lower body strength moves: Don’t use weights. Simple as that:)
- Upper body strength moves: Replace the triceps OH extensions and kickbacks with triceps dips and/or triceps push-ups and/or triceps plank hold. For the wide grip rows, simply clench your fists tight and go through the same motions as if you had weights. You’ll be surprised at how well this still works the muscles!
- Core- Perform the side dips without weights.
- Jump Rope- as I stated earlier, you can do this without the jump rope, you can march in place, you can jump on a cardio machine, do jumping jacks, etc. Pick something that is challenging for YOU, but is also something that will not hurt you.
I think that about covers it! Let me know if you try it- I’d love to hear about what types of intervals you chose for the cardio sections.
Questions for you:What’s your favorite cardio workout these days? I’m currently obsessed with jump roping!