Hey everyone! How was your weekend? Mine was pretty boring because I was sick, but I think it’s exactly what I needed. I did get out of the house on Friday night for a roommate dinner at The Granary Tavern in the city (LOVED it there- awesome menu, great outdoor dining and the inside was awesome as well), but besides that and a short trip to the beach, target and the grocery store on Sunday, I was pretty much stuck to the couch watching tv or sleeping; I did a LOT of sleeping this weekend.
Last Week’s Workouts
- Monday- I wasn’t feeling up to a workout, but I ended up pushing myself to go and was so happy I did! The only cardio I did was 10 minutes of rowing throughout my strength sets, yet I still left sweaty and tired! I used the TRX band, kettlebells, Dynamax Balls, dumbells… all sorts of stuff! I picked leg workouts to do first (2 sets of 15) then worked through lots of upper body stuff. It was great!
- Tuesday- I finally made it to the “two-a-day Tuesday” that Athena always mentions on her blog. When I lived in Oak Square, I was a regular in Liz’s kickboxing class (I think even before Athena started going to it?), so it was fun to be back at it! I was surprised that I remembered as much as I did 🙂 After taking Liz’s class, I taught Athena’s class… Wasn’t my best performance, but I was feeling pretty icky (shouldn’t have done Liz’s class first since I wasn’t feeling well). Whomp, whomp.
- Wednesday- I knew I needed rest on Wednesday since I woke up feeling more sick than I had on Tuesday, so I merely instructed my UXF Burn class… well, mostly instructed.
- Thursday- I worked from home to try to rest a little more since I knew I had to teach 2 classes that night. I know, I know, you’re probably wondering why I didn’t get subs. Well, I have to get a lot of subs this summer for work trips and it’s hard to find subs for kickboxing, so I just loaded up on meds and did what I had to do to get through it. I did stations in SHRED and didn’t do the workout and taught the modified version of kickboxing… wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be!
- Friday- Nothing. I felt awful all day so I decided to nap instead of workout. The nap did help!
- Saturday- Nothing. I woke up feeling better and decided I would go to BodyPump, but as soon as I got up, I got really light-headed/faint, started sweating profusely, face went white and my hands got all tingly/numb. It was easily the scariest feeling I have ever experienced! My sister thought it might be a panic attack, but it lasted WAY longer than the 7-10 minutes panic attacks last, so I don’t think it was that. I think it had something to do with the very strong cough syrup I took during the night. Needless to say, I rested all of Saturday and slept more than I can ever remember sleeping in a day. I literally could not keep my eyes open! I started feeling better around 7 and was able to eat, so that was a good thing.
- Sunday- Nothing, again. I woke up feeling a little better, but I was still so stuffed up and coughing a lot so I decided to rest, even though I wanted to go for a walk or something! I did clean up the apartment and do laundry which required walking up and down a lot of stairs, but other than that, it was a rest day.
This Week’s Workouts
- Monday- I was invited to take a class at The Studio Empower”, which I am really excited about!! My friend Athena went recently and has raved about it ever since!
- Tuesday- I feel like I’ll be in the mood for cardio and weights/core, so it could be a long workout day!
- Wednesday- My class was cancelled for the holiday, so I will have to do my own workout. A lot will depend on whether I head up to Maine on Tuesday or Wednesday. If I go up on Tuesday, I’ll go to my mom’s YMCA on Wednesday, but if I wait until Wednesday, I’ll go to my gym after work to lift and do cardio and head up after that to wait out the traffic!
- Thursday- Does collecting candy at the parade count as exercise? 😉 Jk… kind of! Since I know I’ll be eating and drinking by the pool in the afternoon, I’ll probably try to do something quick in the morning at my parents!
- Friday- Not sure- may head to the gym with mom, may rest… I’m going to see how I feel!
- Saturday- I have to head back to MA to teach my 10AM kickboxing class.
- Sunday- Will depend on how my workouts for the week went… if they were good, I’ll rest. If they were light, and I have time to do something, I will!
So, there you have it! As you can see, my workouts this week are mostly TBD since I am not sure when I’ll head to Maine, how I’ll feel and how much time I will have. That’s ok, though. As frustrating as it is to “get off track” with workouts, my body was definitely telling me I needed to slow down and rest last week so I am trying to listen to that and not overdo it this week.
Questions for you: Holidays and working out- do you take them as rest days or are they motivation to workout since you know you’ll be eating more indulgently? Do you go to any parades on the 4th of July? When’s the last time you had to rest for more than a couple of days because of sickness?